Monday, February 21, 2011

Recipe of the Day - Coconut Chocolate Mounds Bars

Courtesy of Madigan Made
(http://madiganmade.blogspot.com/2011/02/coconut-and-chocolate-cookie-bars.html)

Sorry I had no recipe of the days this weekend - two shows made for a busy weekend. But, I am going to make these today for Dusty. He loves coconut macaroons but the only recipes I can find call for coconut milk - and I can't find that anywhere. So, I'm going to give these a try and see if he likes them.

Hope you enjoy. Here you go:


Ingredients
• 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
• 1/4 cup white sugar
• 1/2 cup melted butter
• 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
• 2 cups flaked coconut
• 1 (12 ounce) package semisweet chocolate chips, melted

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Combine the graham cracker crumbs, sugar and melted butter or margarine. Mix and pat into the bottom of one 9x13 inch baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 15 minutes.
3. Combine the condensed milk and flaked coconut. Spread over the crust and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 15 minutes.
4. Spread the melted chocolate chips over the top. Let cool and cut into squares.

These are the changes I made with the recipe:
- I omitted the sugar in the graham cracker crust. I also used less graham crackers.
- I increased the quantity of coconut... by 1 cup. (I love coconut!)
- I spread the coconut on top of the crust then poured the sweetened condensed milk on top of that.
- I did not melt the chocolate and pour it on top. I sprinkled the chips on top of the coconut and popped it back in the oven for 5-10 minutes. I pulled that out and just used a spatula to spread the chocolate.
- As the chocolate cooled, I scored the chocolate to make it easier to cut.

4 comments:

  1. I always buy coconut milk at any grocery store. It's in a can by the asian food. I'll have to try these! I love that you're sharing recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Guys!

    And, thanks Jean-Marie. I checked a few Walmarts but they don't carry it. So I'll check Fresh Market!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just bought some at the AF wal-mart this morning. I hope you find some.

    ReplyDelete