Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Recipe of the Day - Tortilla Soup

Courtesy of Shannon Ray (with additions from me)

Difficult Level: Medium
Rating: 4 stars

This is certainly my family's favorite meal that I make! I always make it for parties or family get togethers because it is a big hit. It is a little time consuming - and I always do the first part and then throw it in the crock pot! I almost always double the recipe - especially if making for more than just my little family. Enjoy:

Ingredients:

2-3 Tbsp. olive oil
3-4 chicken breasts (cooked & shredded)
1/4 cup onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. chili powder
pepper
1 can chicken broth
1 can corn, undrained
1 can black beans, rinsed
1 can stewed tomatoes, undrained (I put in my food processor or blender to chop up with juices)
2 tbs. cilantro
sour cream
shredded cheese

Directions:
Saute onion and garlic, then add shredded chicken and seasonings. Add corn, broth, tomatoes, black beans and cilantro. Simmer. Top with sour cream and cheese when served.

Like I mentioned early, I usually saute the onions, garlic, chicken, and seasonings and then throw everything in the crock pot for at least 4 hours on low.

No comments:

Post a Comment